Count of Chicks for Children

God's Plan For Us

This is our journey - God's incredible plan for our lives. When we followed the moving of the Holy Spirit, He opened the windows of Heaven and poured out upon us blessings we never dreamed of! Indescribable joy!

" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, April 24, 2017

They are all 'My Own'

Recently Virgil and I were talking to a couple who was asking about adoption. The comment was made that, though they were planning on adopting, he was wanting to wait until after they had one more "of our own". I knew he meant one more biological child, but I wish I had had the opportunity to tell him-

Adopted or biological- they are ALL your own.

I have had the joy of giving birth to three children. They were placed in my heart long before they were placed in my arms. Long before they drew their first breath they were prayed for. We waited expectantly for months before we looked into their eyes.
I have also had the joy of adopting seven daughters. They, too, were placed in my heart long before they were placed in my arms. They were prayed for long before I heard their voice. We waited expectantly for months before we looked into their eyes.
Granted our adopted daughters were not babies. The youngest came home at five years old and the oldest was just shy of fourteen. They came to us with broken hearts and broken dreams. They have carried burdens I will never understand. But they came with the same desire that all kids (and adults) have- the desire to be loved. Just as with a newborn, they wanted to be held, protected and provided for. They wanted to feel safe.They wanted to be wanted.

I have heard people say they aren't sure they can love an adopted child as much as a bio child. I'm here to tell you that YES, YOU CAN! I have a special place in my heart reserved for each of my children. No two are alike- even the bio's. Each has different strengths and weaknesses, that make them unique, that make them special, that make them mine. Yes, I parent differently now, but that has more to do with the fact that I am older (and hopefully wiser) than I was with my first three. When a child comes home with heartaches that have not healed, we must meet them where they are and love them unconditionally, but isn't that the same thing we do with biological children?

My kids are just that- my kids. All entrusted to us for a season. All bring their own 'specialness' to our family and makes us better people. Each a special gift from the God who knew us long before we were formed. I hope to one day meet this couple again so that I can tell them the real truth-

God places children in the families He has chosen. Sometimes He does that through birth and sometimes He does that through adoption.

1 comment: