Count of Chicks for Children

God's Plan For Us

This is our journey - God's incredible plan for our lives. When we followed the moving of the Holy Spirit, He opened the windows of Heaven and poured out upon us blessings we never dreamed of! Indescribable joy!

" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, May 5, 2013

They are all 'My Own'

I have been asked a question that perhaps many ask when they are contemplating adoption - "Can I love them like my own?" I'd like to answer from my perspective.
To begin with, I have six children - three I gave birth to, and three through adoption. They are ALL 'my own'. I have known the labor pains that came from giving birth, and the labor pains associated with paperwork and waiting.
When I was pregnant with each of my first three, I experienced all the emotions that go along with pregnancy - (crying on the Hallmark commercials), excitement of feeling the baby move, the thrill of seeing ultrasound pictures, preparing the room for their arrival.
Now, as I wait for two more little ones to come home, I find myself experiencing those same emotions (as I did with our other three adoptions). Random moments make me cry. I was in a store today, and as I was looking at clothes for XiMin and NiNi, I came across a tee shirt that said 'I love my .... and then listed dad, mom, brother, sister, grandparents, etc'. I started getting choked up. There I was, losing it in the toddler's aisle of a clothing store. Who  would have thought you'd have those same pregnancy hormones even when you're 'paper pregnant'?
28 years ago I washed and folded little clothes and made the room ready for my first child. Today I am still doing the same. Yes, they are a little older (and so am I!!), and the clothes a little larger than with my first child. Yes, there are many unknowns (but isn't that true whether you give birth biologically or through adoption?) When they cry-just as I did with Zeb, Zak and Emily (and now with Xiaoyun, Elli, and LiLi)- I will hold them and comfort them, and try to fix whatever is bothering them. I will rock them, feed them, kiss their skinned knee, say prayers before bed, get up through the night when they have a nightmare, clap when they dance in their princess dress, teach them to read, fix their hair for the prom. Most of all, I will pray for them and thank God daily for the privilege of being a MOTHER to each of my children.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post - and as a dad (both bio and adopted) - yeah - what you said!!

    And Elli - happy gotcha day!!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete