Count of Chicks for Children

God's Plan For Us

This is our journey - God's incredible plan for our lives. When we followed the moving of the Holy Spirit, He opened the windows of Heaven and poured out upon us blessings we never dreamed of! Indescribable joy!

" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

3rd surgery complete/ much pain

Xiaoyun's 3rd surgery went well according to her surgeon. He was pleased with the amount of movement she had. They were able to remove 6 discs (they were hoping to remove 5), a wedge piece of two vertebrae, and a rib. The rib will be 'banked' until the next surgery, at which time it will be ground up and used to help fuse the vertebrae together. I'm not sure if the wedge of vertebrae was also saved for that purpose. She had to have a unit of blood, along with what they called 'cell saver', where they take the blood she loses during surgery, put it through a machine and then put back into her. She has a chest tube that we hope to have out in 2 days. We knew this surgery would be bad, but what I didn't realize is that they say this incision is considered more painful than if she'd had to be cut open for open heart surgery. She got to PICU around 3pm, and has been in quite a bit of pain since then. She has to lie flat for the first 4 hours and that is so uncomfortable for her. She kept begging for a pillow over and over again.
This is Virgil's night to stay with her, and since we didn't get much sleep last night, he sent me on home to try and rest before my long day/night tomorrow. Unfortunately, PICU is full, so she is in the open bay area, which will make it even more difficult for her to rest. As I am leaving, in the midst of all her pain, she says " Love you Mama, be careful driving home" Needless to say, I could barely see to get to the elevators because I was crying so hard. These surgeries are ripping my heart out, but also showing what a brave, incredible girl we have been blessed to have in our family! PLEASE say extra prayers for Xiaoyun tonight and in the next few days. They will be difficult ones for her.

5 comments:

  1. Cindy, I'm praying for Xiaoyun and you all as I know tonight is going to be a rough one. I pray she will be free of pain soon. It broke my heart reading all this child has been through.
    Jeannie in Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Xiaoyun has been on my mind all day. I'm glad that the surgery is over and that it went well. I imagine this is all taking a tremendous toll on her. I have prayed several times today for her and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet family and brave Xioayun! Wish I could physicaly be there to help - but we're praying up a storm for relief from pain and for that wonderful, sustaining love of Jesus to give you all you need as you weather a tough recovery.

    Karin, Jerry and JunFen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for the pain to ease, and for strength for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for you Xiaoyun! You are such a special girl. May God's peace and comfort be close to you and your family today.

    Rachel and Eliza Halcombe (we saw your video on another blog and had to let you know we were praying)

    ReplyDelete